Community Service is an important part of each student’s experience at St. Vincent Pallotti High School. Service is not only an excellent way to put into practice the values and knowledge gained in the classroom, it is also a fundamental part of the Gospel we are called to live. Jesus said, “If anyone wishes to be first, he shall be the last of all and the servant of all.” (Mark 9:35) Pallotti students are encouraged to become servants of all, reaching out to all those in the community who find themselves in need. Our proximity to Washington, D.C. and Baltimore provides plenty of opportunities for our students to become aware of the difficulty of the poor and to work with churches and service agencies to assist those in need. Programs such as: food distribution, tutoring youngsters, visiting senior citizens, recreation with handicapped and/or disabled adults; and far reaching mission trips to Belize and South Africa all strengthen our students and allow them to "live for the infinite glory of God."
HELPING STUDENTS SERVE THE COMMUNITY
St. Vincent Pallotti was renowned for how he drew so many other people into charitable activities. Inspired by our patron, St. Vincent Pallotti High School strives to make service something that is easy for students to make part of their lives. To assist students, the school:
- Has a community service coordinator to help connect students to service activities.
- Hosts several large-scale service events each year at the school.
- Provides students and parents with lists of upcoming local service opportunities.
- Has ongoing service opportunities within one block of campus.
- Sends students and parents regular, individualized updates on student service hour totals.